Navigating your teen years can be tricky enough without having to do it in front of the entire world. But Lily Collins, whose father is legendary singer Phil Collins, has managed to do it with both grace and poise. Now 27, the Mortal Instruments star, has made a name for herself as a successful actress. But in her new book, Unfiltered: No Regrets, No Shame, Just Me, out March 7th, Lily gets totally real about everything, from her struggles with self-esteem and body image to dating.
Here, Lily shares the advice she wishes she could share with her 17-year-old self.
1. You accept the love you think you deserve.
2. When someone shows you who they are, believe them.
3. The quirky things that make you different are what make you beautiful.
4. Different is beautiful.
5. Be silly. It’s attractive. Normal is so boring.
6.There is no such thing as perfect.
7. Just because something is in fashion doesn’t mean you have to wear it.
8. A smile is the most attractive thing you can wear.
9. We ALL go through an awkward stage.
10. No one has the power to silence you.
11. Truly delicacy is not a fragile thing.
12. Don’t let anyone ever dim your light.
13. People may not always like what you have to say but as long as you are kind and honest, they can’t fault you.
14. People can only be helped as much as they want to help themselves.
15. Some things are just out of your control. Once you accept that, you will feel so free.
16. Ask your grandparents more questions. One day you won’t be able to.
17. Everything happens for a reason. When something doesn’t go your way, it means that something greater is at play.
Lily’s first book, Unfiltered: No Regrets, No Shame, Just Me hits stores on March 7th and can be pre-ordered online right now.
Published on March 1, 2017